The Discovery Science Place is ALWAYS looking for enthusiastic members of the community to be involved in our mission to inspire and ignite curiosity in young minds.
Begin by submitting the appropriate Volunteer Application through email or in person. After our review, we will contact you to schedule an orientation. For further inquiry, email your completed application to our volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 903-533-8011 and ask to speak to Mackensie. We look forward to hearing from you!
- Age 16 or older (some limited volunteer tasks allow for slightly younger volunteers)
- A completed application on file, including a cleared background check if 18+
- Attendance at a scheduled brief orientation
- Attendance at training sessions if required for your position
- Adherence to the volunteer dress code: DSP t-shirt/school shirt/plain t-shirt, unripped jeans/slacks, closed-toe shoes, and a DSP lab coat or smock for some tasks.
This is the most common position which is responsible for assisting guests in permanent and temporary exhibits, answering questions, picking up after guests, and cleaning up exhibit areas. Exhibit areas and activities need to be “reset” throughout the day, and thoroughly picked up at the end of each shift. Floor volunteers can commit to morning (10am-2pm) or afternoon (1pm-5pm) shifts, or all day (with a 30 minute lunch break).
Working with teachers and campers in all day, day-long (Spring and Winter Break) or week-long (Summer) camps. Monitoring children, assisting with activities, cleaning up, serving snacks, etc. Summer camp volunteers commit to being at camp for a full week (5 days) from 9:30am-4:30pm.
Special Event Volunteers
Assist staff members with special events (such as Maker Faire or Darwin Day), exhibit openings, or projects (such as Science Saturdays). Special events times vary.
Science Cart Volunteers
Science cart volunteers spend 1-2 hours manning mobile lab carts on the museum floor, interacting with guests and providing them a fun, safe educational experience. We provide the training, materials and groovy lab coat! (Science cart volunteers must be 18+ years of age.) View the Flyer!